Monday 30 January 2012

Transcription Idea + Related Digital Painting

My Idea

I wish to focus primarily on character design. I will be using the novella The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft as the subject of my transcription.  I want to design & complete a CG character pipeline for the Wilbur Whateley character from the story. This Character will be for a CG Animated movie adaptation of The Dunwich Horror.

The Dunwich Horror


Wilbur Whateley is the son of a deformed albino mother and an unknown father (alluded to in passing by the mad Old Whateley as "Yog-Sothoth"), and strange events surround his birth and precocious development. Wilbur matures at an abnormal rate, reaching manhood within a decade. All the while, his sorcerer grandfather indoctrinates him into certain dark rituals and the study of witchcraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dunwich_Horror#Plot_summary

 The Dunwich Horror is a prime example of Lovecraft’s heavily atmospheric, descriptive and morbidly suggestive style. The reason I have chosen this story is because of the interesting character design opportunities Wilbur Whateley offers.
 
Very soon, I will be posting a more extensive summation of my thoughts on the story itself and art direction possibilities.  For now, here is a Dunwich Horror inspired digital painting that I did during reading week. 

Wilbur in the Womb


No comments:

Post a Comment