Monday 25 October 2010

20'000 Leagues Under the Sea

My folder was number 7 so I will be visualizing the classic story by Jules Vern, 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea. I am very happy with the book because I have already read it and I like it a lot. I was wondering if we had to stick strictly to the scenes we were given or could we use another part of the book if we wanted.

I have collected some images of my favorite depiction of Captain Nemo's Nautilus from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a comic book series/graphic novel written by Alan Moore and drawn by Kevin O'Neil. The inspiration for this version of the Nautilus came from Jules Vern's The Mysterious Island (the sequel to 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea). At the end of The Mysterious Island Nemo revels himself to be a former Indian prince, Prince Dakar. Moore and O'Neil have incorporated Indian Design into the Nautilus.

This is the first time we see the nautilus in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume I. It resembles a squid merged with a wale. I like the amazing amount of detail Kevin O'Neil goes into.

 
This is a diagram of the interior of the Nautilus from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier.



This image is also from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier it shows an older version of the Nautilus. This older Nautilus would be the one from 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea. The idea is that Nemo rebuilt it after it was destroyed in The Mysterious Island.


This image is from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Century: 1910. This version of the Nautilus is Captained by Nemo's Daughter Pirate Jenny from The Three Penny Opera. It is much darker and more intimidating.

No comments:

Post a Comment